Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Life's a Beach (with a little Dalí thrown in)


Hello everyone!

I had a nice, relaxing time this past weekend in Barcelona. It was good to just spend the weekend hanging out and catching up on sleep! Last week was tough after my mom left, I was very homesick for a couple days. But all is well now!

On Friday, my program had our final day trip. We went to the Salvador Dali Musuem in Figueres (2 hours north up the coast from Barcelona, almost of the French border). I have always been really intrigued by Dali's work...he was one weird dude. His museum certainly proved it! Much as I am not a fan of guided museum tours, I actually enjoyed learning about some of the reasons behind Dali's supposed craziness. One of his most famous paintings is of a piece of bread in a basket...kind of nuts. Dali is also buried in the museum, which I found kind of odd, but I guess that makes sense because he was odd.

After the museum, we hopped back on the bus for an hour ride to Cadaques, the coastal town where Dali's family had a summer house. We ate lunch at a restuarant right on the beach, and then spent a couple hours soaking up the sun. It was 75 degrees and sunny out...fantastic!

Other than accidentally wading in to far and getting my shorts wet so that the 3-hour bus ride home was less than comfortable, it was a great trip!

On Saturday, I went to the beach in Barcelona for the first time. It was a gorgeous day...it got over 80 degrees! The beach, naturally, was packed with a mix of tourists and locals. There were a lot of topless women, which was a bit of a shock at first even though I had been warned. And there were a lot of Asian women walking around offering people massages for 5euro. It was a little odd, and nothing like the beaches at home, but it was great nonetheless!

On Saturday night, we were pretty worn out from being in the sun all day, so Caroline and I invited a couple friends over and we relaxed and watched a movie, then went to bed. 

I spent Sunday sleeping and doing homework, as usual. I have been getting an obnoxious amount of homework this past week. I guess it's that time of the semester when professors are starting to realize that they are behind and need to pile work onto us to make up for it.

Thank goodness spring break is next week! I leave for Morocco on Friday. I am really excited but at the same time pretty nervous about it. It's going to be a totally different environment than anywhere else I have ever been.

I will try to update my blog on Monday night when I get back, so there will not be one huge long entry about my entire spring break after Prague and Vienna!

I hope that everyone is well, I can't believe it's already almost mid-April! Crazy!

Oh, and happy birthday to my mom! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment